• Largest Police car factory in Europe opens in Luton, Bedfordshire
• 2,500 vehicles per year converted for Police, Fire and Ambulance
• 50 new jobs in Luton after production moved in-house
• UK supplier firms benefit with 90 per cent material sourced locally
Luton – Vauxhall has officially opened its Police car factory, the largest of its kind in Europe, at its manufacturing plant in Luton, Bedfordshire.
The factory will convert 2,500 vehicles per year, including cars and vans, for use by Police forces, and Fire and Ambulance services nationwide.
Bringing 50 new jobs to Luton, the new facility has been created after moving production in-house from its previous location in Millbrook, Bedfordshire.
Supplier firms around the country also benefit with 90 per cent of blue-light content, the materials used to convert a standard car in to a Police car, sourced locally from UK suppliers. Local firms include Border Engineering in Luton who make brackets and AV Engineering in Royston who make fascia mouldings.
An array of Vauxhalls will be converted for use by the emergency services at the Luton facility with cars including Corsa, Astra, Insignia and Mokka, and CVs, such as Combo, Movano and the Luton-built Vivaro vans.
Vauxhall is the only manufacturer to offer a one-stop shop for blue-light vehicles. Everything is done in-house from testing to converting and even remarketing of decommissioned vehicles.
Policing has changed dramatically in recent years with new types of crimes and the increased terror threat. With technology like 4G Wi-Fi and rugged Toughbook tablets, Vauxhall can offer the emergency services everything they need to stay connected on the move.
“Through our flexible production facility, Vauxhall is able to offer a one-stop shop purchasing experience to UK emergency services,” said Dick Ellam, Vauxhall’s Manager, Special Vehicles.
“We can deliver a wide choice of car and van models, specifically designed and rigorously-tested to meet the stringent demands of our emergency services. We can also supply turn-key vehicle solutions that enable rapid turnaround of replacement vehicles, plus we can now offer a unique in-house de-commissioning and re-marketing service.”
Vauxhall is the number one supplier to Police fleets with a 70 per cent market share of competitive segments.
Images and colours shown are for illustrative purposes only and may show optional equipment.
Images shown are for illustration purposes only and may include options at additional cost.
* Where offered as standard equipment, OnStar services require activation and are subject to mobile network coverage and availability. Terms and conditions apply. Vauxhall OnStar is included within the price of the vehicle for 36 months excluding WiFi Hotspot services. WiFi Hotspot Services are provided on a free trial basis for 12 months by the nominated mobile network operator and subject to separate terms and conditions 4G subject to mobile network coverage availability. Charges apply after each free trial period. Check www.vauxhall.co.uk/onstar for details of availability, coverage and charges or ask your Vauxhall Retailer. Vehicles purchased without OnStar cannot have the required technology retro fitted.
OnStar and 4G Wi-Fi Hotspot services require activation and are subject to mobile network coverage and availability. Wi-Fi Hotspot service requires account with nominated network operator. Charges apply after the free trial period. The OnStar subscription packages could be different from the services included in the free trial package. Check Vauxhall.co.uk/OnStar for details of availability, coverage and charges, or ask your Vauxhall retailer. Terms and conditions apply
** Exclusive Loyalty Offer only available for current Antara drivers on the Motability Contract Hire Scheme